Friday, March 19, 2010

The smell of Spring



What a year, what a month... I have to say I love Spring, but don't always look forward to it. When I feel the warmth and the humidity start to fester my mind goes straight to April 7th, 1990. This year has been SO SO SO hard. This year will be the 20th Anniversary for Jamie's death. 20! I've been without my twin, my best friend for 20 years. You'd think I could make it one year without it being so hard. I feel so mad right now. I'm mad that I don't remember her as much as I'd like too, I'm mad that I have kids, and I always pictured us having kids at the same time and having close families, teasing each others husbands, and growing old together. I'm sorry, this post really wasn't supposed to be like this, but I just miss her so much and really need to vent. I've been having so many memories about right after she died, but I can't seem to think up all the memories we had together. I remember crying every night for the first couple years and trying to remember if there was a night that went by that I didn't cry. I think after time you just start to go numb. Jamie comes into my head so often, there are so many things that make me think of her. Like rain, the smell of flowers, a shoe on the side of the road, the smell of really heavy makeup. The makeup and flowers make me think of her so much because that's what I remember from the funeral. When a thought comes up about her I can think about it for a second, but if I don't bring something else into my mind I start thinking about her too much and then I loose it. I think March is so hard because I'm preparing for April. If I get it all out this month next month won't be so bad. I found a picture in my photo album that's Jamie and me in front of a cake that has the number 7 on it. I hate thinking that it was the last birthday we'd have together and at the time I'd had no idea we would never have another birthday with each other again. I do love the picture though. Then I saw a picture of me on a softball team May of 1990, and Jamie wasn't next to me. What was I feeling then? One month after she passed away? My mom was my coach and I was thinking about how hard it must have been for her to try to keep the family together through our rough patch. She really became my best friend after Jamie passed away. I remember going to tap dance and softball practices with Jamie. When we were in the bath tub we used to lay on our sides and push against each others back until the others arms would collapse and then we'd laugh. I remember pushing with my arms and legs so my back was so hard against the tub after she died and just crying. We used to laugh so hard at Bambi when his bum fell on Thumper, we'd rewind it and watch it over and over. Now I tear up when I see it, but I love it. I love the memory. Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast came out shortly after she died, and I know she would have loved them. I remember my dad taking us to an indoor pool and swimming under each others legs and hugging and jumping. I can still remember the smell of chlorine and the warm water. My last memory of her was her asking me if I'd go inside to the bathroom with her in our friends house and I told her no because I wanted to keep playing outside and then she never came back out. Probably my BIGGEST regret. When I went home my Grandma, and some Aunts and cousins were there and I had no idea what was going on and nobody would tell me they all just watched me walk through the house. Finally Lisa stopped me and told me Jamie was dead. She doesn't remember telling me and I don't blame her, it's a hard memory to have. I ran straight to my room and cried. I always wonder what that night was like for me. Did I sleep in my queen bed where Jamie is usually with me? What was I thinking? I know I was mad. What about my sisters and my dad? How did they find out? My mom told me once that she wishes instead of going and being with Jamie at the hospital, that she could do nothing about she wishes she would have been home with us helping us morn. I remember my Aunt Molly asking me if I wanted to go to the hospital and see Jamie and I wanted to because I thought maybe they'd made a mistake and she was really okay. I remember being sad when we weren't able to go to the hospital. I think my mom didn't want us to see Jamie in her condition, and I'm thankful for that because I wouldn't want that image in my mind. A few years later I remember a new girl came to our school and she looked a lot like Jamie with the freckles and all. She became friends with a girl I knew, so I desperately tried to get into there group. I'd ask if I could play with them everyday because I just wanted to be near this girl I didn't even know. She moved shortly after, I never did get to know her. One of my friends told me that after Jamie passed away I was so mean. I don't remember it, but I do know I lost a few really great relationships with friends. I remember Jamie's and my names were twin, twins, or twiner because nobody could ever tell us apart. I remember Jamie asking me if I'd dress like her at school the next day and I told her yes the night before, and then the next day I wore something else. I really regret that. I remember tricking my Uncle Walt. We used to change our clothes and ask him who was who and if he got it wrong he'd give us each a quarter, then we'd go change again. I remember after Jamie passed away I asked my Uncle Walt which one was I and Deanna pulled me aside and said that I can't do that anymore. I didn't even think about it I guess. I have so much fear for my family. Thoughts always go through my head of different ways I could loose someone. My kids are so sheltered I feel bad, but at the same time I couldn't stand to loose one of them. It's taken a lot for me to even let them play out in my yard without me right by there side, it's takes a lot to put my trust in a babysitter or someone else watching my kids for me. I think today is so hard because yesterday when I put Hunter down for his nap he was crying and I was going to give him his binki and when I didn't hear him crying I stopped at the door and was going to let him go back to sleep, but I decided to check on him and he was being smothered by his blankets. He'd rolled himself all up in it and was face down stuck. I hurried and unwrapped him and he gasped for air a few times and then just wailed. I just thought to myself, I could have lost him just then and we both just cried together, and I can't not think about what we've already lost. I love my family so much. My husband, my kids, my parents, my sisters, my nieces and nephew, my in laws. I'm so lucky to have such a great family and especially a wonderful husband that understands what I've been through and can put up with and help me through my rough patches. He hears the same thing over and over year after year, but he's still always willing to listen and be supportive. I think when Jamie passed away my family realized how important it is to be close, because you never know when you'll loose someone you care for. It does make me happy to know that Jamie was with my kids before they came down to me. I love talking about and hearing about Jamie, and remembering her, it's just hard sometimes because it can be so emotional. But I love her and know that I will see her again.
Wow, I could go on and on, I'm glad I have somewhere I can just vent, and put my feelings out there. I'm so grateful for pictures so that I can keep those memories.

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Jules,
I am sure that day is vivid in all of our minds. And I know exactly how we found out… but let me start with… I was at Marci Jackson’s birthday party and they were going to order pizza and I was such a picky eater and I asked Joanne to order one with just cheese. When the pizza got there they all had toppings, so I left. Funny. But minutes after I got home Joanne called and I thought it was going to be because of me. But she asked me if “both the twins were home”… I said I thought so and she asked me if I was sure and told me to let her talk to mom. Mom came running out of the room yelling “Where’s Jamie”… we scoured the house and yard and then went out to track down the police that were going door to door. They told us about the girl and what she was wearing… I remember she was wearing her “skinny jeans” they were way too tight but she didn’t want to look fat…
I can also remember Aunt Molly telling us that we needed to go to the hospital to see her and I didn’t want to. I am glad we didn’t either. But I will never forget that night. I was supposed to sleep over at Aunt Margie’s with Jenny and they were already on their way to come and get me. When they got there Jenny said she hoped I could still sleep over. And someone thought that that was a good idea. They made me go and I didn’t want to. Like I was one less thing to worry about or something. I am sure that isn’t the case, but that was how I felt at the time. I also remember that they were watching American Gladiators and Aunt Margie wouldn’t let Jenny because I didn’t want to…  But when American Gladiators made a come back this last year or so, that is what I think of when it comes on.
But I have a few memories I can share with you… You actually didn’t have a queen bed, it was only a double. I remember convincing mom and dad that we would all fit in it, so they got rid of our bunk beds. But then we didn’t fit. We would pull in kitchen chairs and line them up and take turns sleeping on them. Not long after that was when they moved Lisa and I into the play room. We also did fashion shows with towels, I would make you guys dresses out of the bathroom towels. Do you remember when she got hit in the head with the bat and Dad was running after her yelling for you to stop and you were right next to him. She was really obsessed with her looks, she wanted to be skinny and to have soft hair… She covered her hair in lotion once thinking it would make it soft. And she loved wearing her dance costumes because they were frilly.
I think the hardest time I had was when Kallee and Haylee were 10 and 7, and I saw the relationship they had, because that is how old we were. I always thought I was quite a bit older but seeing them I am sure we were close, and I know that I babysat you guys a lot… which makes me wonder where Kristie and Lisa always were.

Wendy said...

Julie, Okay i just cried like a baby especially when you brought up the memories with "Uncle Walt" Im sure this time of year is so hard for you, I couldnt even imagine.....The funny thing is is that I know where I was at the day I heard the terrible news about jamie that will be in my mind forever!!! But I think its soo cool that you have all stayed so close and family is all you think about because you just never know, I know that is one thing I miss is my family and I wished we could be as close as you all our so keep up the good work and thanks for sharing this with us all!!! We love you!!!

Trinbean said...

Julie you brought tears to my eyes! I just have to say how cool I think it is to have those VIVID memories still after 20 years of losing your best friend! I haven't lost anyone I was REALLY close to yet. Well on my side of the family. I was there when your grandma and grandpa passed and that was hard on me even though I only knew then for a short period of time. We just lost mikes uncle ron and that was hard on me even though I feel I wasnt' his fav person I still loved him! I am dreading the day I lose someone close to me but hope that I am like you and will remember every smell,feelings and memories I every had with them! Even though spring is hard for you just think of it as a part of your best friend still being with you!
Thanks for the reminder of not taking ANYTHING for granted! Family is the most important thing in our lifes and we need to remember to stay close and cherish every moment.....

Camille D said...

Julie,

I am so sorry. I didn't know you were a twin. This post really hit home for me with my twins. They will be 7 here in a couple of months. I can't imagine how hard it would be if they were separated. Twins have such a special connection. It still amazes me the way they are with each other. It's a rare occasion when I see one without the other. Thanks for sharing. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Deb-t said...

Julie-
Thank you for posting something so personal and close to your heart. I didn't know you were a twin either and as you talked about your sister and best friend, I just cried. It makes you look around to the ones you love and just cherish their very existence. I truly love the fact that you named your first born after your twin sister. You have really gone through quite a bit and I can tell you carry a lot of the grief around with you still. I don't blame you, that would be SO HARD. I think it is so sweet of you how you were able to mention so many memories that you and your sister had together and the smells that went along with it. Luckily Spring also brings with it, Easter and a reminder that no matter how difficult things can get when they don't make sense, Jesus is there and the resurrection is given to all of us. Thank goodness. God bless you at this difficult time, Julie! Love, Deb

The Holmes Family said...

Thanks everyone, your support is great. I'm glad that I could share a little of my life with you.

Our Fondaco Family said...

Jules,
What a story... I remeber talking about Jamie with you during softball, but you never said much. Thank you for sharing your story and feelings,you are so strong! What great memories you have of your sister. Yes, she did take care of your babies while in heaven, and I know she is watching over you and your cute family!

Olsen's said...

Oh Julie you are amazing!! That was really hard reading so I can only imagine how you are feeling! Don't beat yourself up on your regrets because you were little and were just being a kid! Love ya!